How do professionals get rid of invasive weeds?
By Jennifer Holmes

How do professionals get rid of invasive weeds?

invasive weeds advice for commercial & construction

When looking for invasive plants or aquatic weeds eradication services you’ll want to know what professional contractors provide. You may also want to know how professionals get rid of invasive species?

First it’s important that they hold industry trade affiliations and memberships such as PCA, BASIS and SSIP accreditations. If handling noxious plants such as Japanese knotweed, Hemlock or Giant hogweed they need to have a waste carrier’s license. Did you know that Ragwort has it’s own code of practice? The contractor should be able to tell you about this.

Next look at their services. A registered contractor will need carry out a full site assessment (survey), provide a report (often called an Invasive Weed Management Plan – or IWMP) that contains recommendations for control or removal options, and a comprehensive quote for the works to be carried out. This should include evidence that the contractor is licensed to handle and remove all material waste and that it will be disposed of at a licensed site if applicable.

What you should expect from a reputable contractor

Not all invasive weed specialists match the criteria you need as a commercial business or construction firm in order to comply with current legislation and health and safety regulations. We’ve put together this overview of recommendations – this is the information and advice you should expect to receive:

  • How, when and where the invasive species established itself on the subject property (whilst this is not always evident, a specialist surveyor will be able to provide their insights and theory as to the rout source of the infestation).
  • What remediation methods are available – with demonstrable evidence of projects using each method. Ask for some case studies.
  • What method(s) they would recommend and details of how it would be carried out including excavation depth required. 
  • How they would undertake the works, details on access requirements, equipment or special licenses (such as AquaHerb) required and any health and safety considerations.
  • What biosecurity measures will be put in place.
  • Call off time/availability.
  • Duration of works.
  • Legislation.
  • Any other works such as vegetation that requires removal, tree works, access haul roads and loading areas.

This is a comprehensive list and you should expect all of the above to be covered as this will enable you to make a fully informed decision about which contractor is right for the project. Whilst your budget is a significant factor, it’s not always about cost and a reputable and experienced contractor will work with you to establish a proposal that meets your needs.

Why is IWM so important?

Integrated Weed Management (IWM) involves using alternative methods instead of or as well as herbicide. The goal being to reduce any chemical usage where possible and introduce more sustainable options to weed management. This is especially useful for local authorities with restricted budgets and carbon footprint goals to meet. Any responsible contractor will be familiar with IWM and should include options that help you to achieve your environmental goals.

How do they get rid of invasive weeds?

Getting back on topic – this really depends on the plant species itself, the site location, the development plans and any other environmental or public considerations required. You can find all the answers on the following pages:

Ask the experts

The list above comes from our experience in working with and listening to commercial and constructions clients across the UK, but if you have more questions about getting rid of invasive plants you can speak to one of the excavation team who will be happy to help.